Wednesday, January 17, 2018

It pays to kill with kindness when you are your own worst enemy

I read through my blog the other day and I am just so sad for my younger self. My posts read like a pre-teen wrote them, all drama and no substance, but the truth is that I remember how scared I used to be. It was constant voices in my head picking me apart, constantly having to be on high alert for the next situation in which food would be involved, constantly lying to the people I loved. It was exhausting. It was eating an entire candy bar with a smile only to spend the next two weeks replaying every single chew and hating myself for it. It was imaging putting a gun to my head but not being able to because I was positive that people would come to my funeral only to talk about how fat I was. None of that made it on to my blog, because I didn't have to tell you guys that. You knew. You lived it with me.

Looking back, I can admit to myself that I was probably never truly in recovery. I still obsessed about every calorie going into my mouth, and there was never a time where I was simply okay with eating the amount I should have been. I spent my time begging to throw up or slicing into my skin to punish myself. Honestly, there was not one single day all throughout that period where I even came close to normal eating. Even if I ingested all of the calories I was supposed to, they came from a binge. I wrote about losing my mind one day when I had all three meals, and then never replicated that incident again. I was obsessed with losing weight, but couldn't admit to myself how deeply entrenched in this I actually was. I didn't want to be eating disordered anymore, but I still wanted to disappear. Maybe that sentence should be in present tense.

I keep thinking back to the way old Blogger used to be, before everyone abandoned it. Remember when we would all log on and show each other pictures of our new haircuts, gossip excitedly about our real life thinspo, and roll our eyes as we typed out how our teacher/friend/colleague/random person commented on how good we looked? Half of my brain yearns so much for that again because it was solidarity, it was not having to be so goddamned alone all the time, but the other half recognizes that it had the potential to be sincerely unhealthy. I know that for me, every single number is a competition. Even still, after so many years of "recovery", when I hear someone's BMI or how much they weigh, or how many calories they burned at the gym, I have to physically stop myself from trying to be better than them.

(The other day my friend posted a picture from his treadmill that stated how many calories he had burned and I had my hands on my keys and was finding my gym card before I even realized what was happening. I don't want to think like this anymore.)

The girls I used to be friends with on here haunt me. I have an entire spreadsheet of hundreds of blogs that I used to read, and 90% of them are ghost towns now. Realistically, some had to have beat this, right? But also some had to have...not. I wonder which category I will fall into. It has been almost five years since I first started this blog, but my eating disorder was very much prevalent before that. That's such a large chunk of my life, how much more of this can I possibly do? But also, how could I even think about not doing this anymore?

I don't have it in me to continue this way. As much as it pains me to admit it, I cannot take care of myself without supervision. I have a roommate who I never see and a mother who does not notice when I come home smaller than I was before and this freedom has allowed me to restrict. No one watches me the way they used to, and I simply don't have the energy to fight with my own fucking head about having breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It seems pointless. I know what the outcome will be, why waste all of that energy?

I am struggling so much.

My hair is falling out by the handful every day. I have to clean my brush after every use because so much of it comes out. My nails are so brittle that tapping them against the table will shatter them. My metabolism has mostly kept trucking, but I am always so tired, always so cold, always so preoccupied with calories and exercise and the size of my fucking thighs. And the worst part? I am STILL nowhere near the weight I want to be. Cue hysterical laughing.

I hope that every one is doing so much better than I am. Please reach out if you need anything at all.
<3 Lee

5 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie,
    the past id like a handful of dust, disappearing little by little. Sometimes I tell myself I wish I could go back, and that in another life I would do things differently, but then I realize I would probably end up missing some of the things I cherish the most these days.
    I'm glad you are back blogging, so many of our old fellows no longer are.
    Wishing you the best
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey honey,

    the thing is, at that time of it actually happening, that drama has a lot of substance. it might not feel that way now, but going through that shaped you to be this wonderful woman that you are today. every event in your life makes you as you are. and they're not silly. they're not dramatic. they're not substance-less. they meant something to you then. so it matters. and it's not stupid because it used to be a big deal to you. and maybe whatever it is, it's not right now. but it used to be. so it matters. it's important.

    because whatever is important to you, 10 years ago, or 20, is still important. because it's the reason you are who you are today. i just wanted to let you know that. <3

    we knew my love, yes. we did. it's terrible. it's horrible. it's not... you deserved so much more than that. you /deserve/ so much more than that. and i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. and you are far from that. you are a wonderful, wonderful person that deserves all this sunshine and rainbows and this glittery things that make people smile all day.

    actually, you're kind of like those glittery things that make people smile all day. just saying.

    there's something about people from the old blogsophere that i just... i love. and i don't remember a lot of our conversations from before but you bring this warmth to my chest.

    i really just want to see you happy. because you don't deserve any less.

    honey, but that's the thing about eating disorders. i've been in recovery probably for longer than i've had an eating disorder for at this point (not really, but anyway, semantics). i had someone call me out recently that i'm not eating like i should be eating. and she has an eating disorder too, and if she told me it's not enough, i know that it's not good enough. and i have to fix it.

    sometimes, you know what you're supposed to be doing, but you need that reassurance so much. you need someone to tell you that it's okay. and if you don't have that someone in real life, let this blog be your voice, my love.

    support is so SO important. you deserve it so much.

    eating 3 meals a day or 5 or 8 or 9 doesn't change what kind of person you are. you are this incredible, amazing person that deserves so much more than this obsession. i hate that starve/binge/whatever cycle. it's no way to live. and eating 3 meals a day is nothing. people usually eat 3 meals with giant snacks that probably have more calories than the meals. and it's normal.

    i think though with recovery, the disappearing thoughts start to go away at some point but it takes so much time. i don't know what it is about it. even when you think it's not working, something is changing about it inside you but it takes SO MUCH TIME. i don't know what it is about it. one day, i just woke up and decided i want to lose weight but i don't want to be x weight anymore. i have certain weights i do not want to be at. i have certain body types that i like. i have aspirations that are beyond fitting into a pair of jeans somehow and it's wonderful. then i slowly started to adapt to wearing clothes that flatter me NOW. not after losing 30lbs. NOW making me look good. clothes that make me feel like i can rule the world.

    PS. i totally need new clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but honestly, you deserve to feel like that. it takes time. i don't know where you are with food right now, but i want to let you know that there is an out. and i will probably always be obsessed with food, but as long as it doesn't hinder my life, it's okay, you know? and i'm not one to talk about this as in the last 5 years i've been in recovery, i've probably relapsed about 500 times. but the thing is trying to get back on your feet. and trying again. especially if you're doing it alone. it's hard if you're doing it alone.

    if you are, you should see someone, my love.

    but really, it takes time, like i said, my love. i mean in my third year of recovery, i still wanted nothing more than self-destruction. this is my fifth year and i'm starting to think differently, you know?


    and people slowly stop being BMI's and numbers and start becoming more like people along the way. that takes time too.

    i'm not saying i don't get what you're going through. i get that all the time. i try to work through that too. it's really hard. sometimes, it's impossible. but it is 100% worth it. i don't know anyone that went into recovery and then said, 'i wished i'd never tried to recover' for a reason.

    y biggest shock recently was one girl that is my best real life friend telling me she weighs 142. and she's trying to /put on/ weight. i wouldn't have considered her past 110. like... that's incredible. weights don't mean as much as i thought it was. and one thing i like about the whole Ig thing nowadays is that most of these girls that post their weights, a lot of them are 60-70-80 kilograms with wonderful amazing bodies. the good thing is nowadays, people are telling you to eat more, not less. it helps a lot for me.

    i hope you find out what's been holding you back, honey.

    because you deserve to do this... for you. because you're worth it. not anyone else. YOU are worth it.

    "I am STILL nowhere near the weight I want to be." and honestly, love, the truth is, i don't think you're ever going to be satisfied even if you were. as cliche as it sounds, there's always that whole 'losing weight won't change it for you'. and it won't. because i think we're chasing for something in those numbers that we can't reflect anywhere else. and no matter what the number is, there is that momentary satisfaction and then... nothing. and i think i'm slowly finding out what that is that's making this so hard. but that takes time too. it's really just a giant waiting game.

    i hope some of that made sense. i tried to reread it and i did but it's so long. xD i'm sorry <3

    - Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  4. comment reply:

    "We used to be friends on here, but it has truly been a very long time." you know that you used this line on me before. this is your second time. of COURSE i remember you.

    i read your comment and it made me smile. i really hope that this comment was okay too. i really want something to make it feel like it's easier to do this. because it takes time. and it's hard most times. and like i said, i've relapsed more times than i can count. some of them weren't obvious relapses either!

    i did post again. a paragraph mentioning how i have to fix food because i totally screwed that up again... like i said. learning experience. ;)


    - Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  5. TRUE HACKER IN THE WORLD

    INSTEAD OF APPLYING FOR A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??

    Order for a Blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{jameshackedatm@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $800 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,000 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:: {jameshackedatm@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete